Responsible and Ethical Tourism
Certified Ethical Climbing
We believe the tourism industry has an obligation and a great opportunity to protect the world’s natural habitats, cultural heritage sites and communities. We actively believe and promote environmental sustainability and social responsibility.
With nearly 300 Kilimanjaro operators to chose from it’s important for climbers to become educated about the darker side of the tourism industry of Mt. Kilimanjaro. Sadly the hardworking mountain crew are often extremely exploited and mistreated. Few receive proper salaries, tips, food, equipment and sleeping conditions.
The Kilimanjaro Porters Assistance Project, (KPAP) is an initiative of the International Mountain Explorers Connection, (IMEC). KPAP raises public awareness regarding the proper treatment of porters on Kilimanjaro and assists climbing companies with implementing procedures that ensure fair and ethical treatment of their porters.
KPAP’s focus is improving the working conditions of the porters by:
- Free clothing lending program, ensuring proper gear for porters
- Education and Empowerment with free English, First Aid, HIV/AIDS Awareness, Money Management, and Porters Rights classes
- Educating the public and advocating for proper porter working conditions
IMEC created the Partner for Responsible Travel Program to recognize those tour operators committed to fair treatment practices and working conditions of the crew on Kilimanjaro and in Nepal.
All climbing companies are welcome to participate and acceptance as a Partner for Responsible Travel is based upon the local climbing company meeting extensive and strictly monitored Guidelines for Proper Porter Treatment.
Monitoring activities are continual and include:
- Porter Questionnaires and Interviews
- Examination of partner company’s salary distribution methods
- Review of partner company’s tipping procedure
- Audit and reporting by a KPAP porter investigative porter on all partner company climbs
- Providing feedback and suggestions for improvements
By choosing a Partner for Responsible Travel with IMEC/KPAP you can guarantee that you are doing the most to ensure that porters are given the treatment they deserve.
We are proud to be a leading qualified Partner Company with the Kilimanjaro Porters Assistance Project. We voluntarily participate and are evaluated by KPAP’s monitoring activities every climbing season. Our climb price reflects the resources to guarantee the proper working conditions for our mountain crew. Lower climb prices by other operators are often possible as a result of not adhering to fair and ethical standards. Please visit the KPAP website to confirm our Partner status.